Saturday 23 April 2011

mothering the mother revisited, mothering the world

Today was a weird day again, I recently had my first night out with my colleagues since I have been off work and I realised that going back to work will not be the insurmountable Himalayas of my imagination. They were all so nice and caring and invited me to share in the celebration of the birthday of someone who has been one of my signposts on the road to recovery, nudging me back onto the road to recovery when I start to stray, rather like a sponsor from AA he has coaxed me along the road to recovery.




the joys of a blue sky and birch trees



I was lying in bed contemplating what I would do after my now regular bubble bath.  I was acclimatising to the day while looking out at the sunshine thinking was it warm enough for a waterfight as last night it was warm enough for dinner in the garden.  Yesterday the swallows arrived, only four so far , and the day before the bluebells finally appeared.

The first bluebells in Newtown Woods


These are facts, not metaphors, for a change. lol, any way to make a long story short there was a competition on the radio about where was the best place in Ireland to enjoy the sunshine and I texted in that my garden was and I won a wonderful a very fun day out for me and one of the children, so it is official my garden is the best place in Ireland to be on a sunny day:-).   As I spoke to the host I thought about the need for mothering and I realised that I am finally able to be a mother again.  I have been searching for help in parenting my teenager as I see her going off the rails.  I realised that the mothering is within me and just as I need it and so does eveyone else.  We all need to be nurtured and loved, we all need to be cared for and have a safe place to call home, we need a sanctuary and place to gain respite from the confusion of the world, from all the messages from the media, advertising, our peers, our family.  We need a place where we can retreat and just be ourselves.  The years of the celtic tiger did not value mothering, we were seen as a means to an economic end.  We all need to heal from the awfulness of the  messages we received from that tiger's roar.  We need to be not celtic tigers, but celtic mammies.  The Irish mammy is a legendary figure.  The need for a more inclusive society which values the female side of life, that value the nurturing side of people is so obvious to many people.  We no longer want to run this country like a business. I want to live in a society not a business, I want the nation to be mothered not used as slaves to the machine.  It is time for mothering us all, so I am off to mother my mother tomorrow.  She of course would disagree that she needs mothering but we all need mothering and not just by our mothers.

I am off to hook up my bubble sprinkler, slash in the paddling pool and enjoy the day fueled by cadburies roses and 7 up. My inner child will enjoy the pleasures of chocolate and 7up during lent and my adult will enjoy the guilt free day.


Todays blog was written to the sound of happy children and dogs, also to the sound of south american tango music.
So go off today and mother yourself, create a coocoon of blankets, make a tent out of sheets in the kitchen, do the things that you did as a child with your mother and find that inner child who can help show you the mothering you need.  Alternatively just go and lie in the sun , in a park, in the garden, on the beach or just get out and be happy to be alive.

Garrus beach at sunset


Happy Saturday 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete