Tuesday 26 April 2011

how our senses help us

Many people say that we have five senses, sight, hearing, taste, touch and smell.  There are also those who say we have six, funnily they call it our sixth sense, I consider it to be intuition. That gut feeling you get about somethings.  Why do we ignore i?.  Animals are in touch with it.  They often leave before impending disasters.  Our hairy sister (the dog) has it in abundance.  Her father is a dog used to help with autistic children to keep them safe from danger.  Over the last two weeks my life became very odd and chaotic.  I thought I was fully better and started to make plans to return to work.  I was not officially declared fit for work but I thought that I could cope well again with most things.  I was not wrong but I was not right either.  The dog was christened our hairy sister by one of the kids as she does not live with us here. She is my ex husbands dog but is considered to be a big part of the family.  She was been cuddling up to us all during the past weeks as she has sensed something was wrong.  She trapped me on the sofa in the porch one day over the weekend.  She knew I needed a rest and some non-judgmental company.  All our senses are important, some are better developed than others.  When I first had to stay off work because I was ill I could not read, or listen to music, listen to the radio, all I could do was lie on the sofa and cry.  As the medication took effect my senses gradually returned.  I started to clean as I needed something to do and I found some of my aromatherapy oils I had forgotten about.  Geranium is good for soothing the nerves.  When I got up in the morning I put it into the oil burner and gradually my mood lifted.  I then invested in some fabulous neroli oil.  I changed my perfume to a citrus based one as it was more energising than the floral one I usually use.  The next sense I started to work with was sight.  Colour in particular.  I studies many images and colour therapy on the internet.  I have tried out about 15 different matchpots on my living room walls.  I finally chose a pale sandy peach but have not painted it yet.  Colour is important as It can stimulate moods.  I have used colour in my meditations also.  sound was explored through meditation and music.  Touch through swimming and long warm baths, walking barefoot on the damp grass, and on the sand.  Taste of course got out of hand through the many and varied cookie varieties I tried.  These may sound like self evident and simple things, but to a person who no longer wants to exist these are important ways of reconnecting with themselves and their body.  Anxious and depressed people spent so much time in the the mind that getting in touch with the body is an essential part of getting well.  When I started to meditate it quietened the mind, by relaxing the body you relax the mind, by working the body you balance the mind.  

Balance.  My motto of 2011.
All things in life in balance.
So go off and get some juggling balls and learn to juggle the hand eye coordination needed unlocks that part of the mind that wants the world to be the way it should not how it is.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment