Friday 25 March 2011

symbiosis or co-dependency ; the search for completeness

As I left the doctors the other day with my daughter she commented how handy it was that the chemist is so close to the doctors and as I explained what symbiosis was to my daughter I started to think about how it differs from co-dependency.  Lichens are the classic biological example of symbiosis but when does symbiosis cross the line into co-dependency.  To the best of my recollection symbiosis is when two organisms coexist and each one contributes to the well being of the other; mutual benefits.  Co-dependency is a relationship in which that benefit is replaced by dependency.  Perhaps what at first seemed like the perfect balancing of our flaws by the strengths of another and vica versa in what seems a symbiotic relationship is in fact codependency.  Perhaps it was my inability to distinguish codependency from symbiosis that has scared me.  In symbiosis each organism must exist in its own right.  Each person must compliment the other not seek to complete the other.   I shall aim for one and one making two rather than a half and a half making one.  I am no longer looking for the other half of me.  I am whole.  



Happy Friday 

No comments:

Post a Comment